What YOU need to know to STOP terrorism!
“Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant, to step the Ocean, and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a Trial of a thousand years.
At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reaches us, it must spring up amongst us.”
– Abraham Lincoln, January 27, 1838INTRODUCTION
The terrorist attacks against our nation on September 11, 2001 clearly demonstrated the existence of a new threat to the safety and security of U.S. citizens. For the first time, our country was subjected to a massive attack by an enemy which had infiltrated from abroad, lived and moved freely amongst us, but was driven by a hostile and fanatical foreign ideology to bring death and destruction to the heart of America. Although the perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks died themselves, those who planned and supported that attack are now planning and preparing their next atrocity, promising that it will be an even more deadly strike at America than was 9/11. None of these threatening groups, however, and especially the terrorists, can operate totally secretly in a vacuum. They must take advantage of our open and trusting society to prepare their attacks. All attacks must have months, or sometimes even years of preparation. Nearly all of the activities necessary for the terrorists to attack us are often visible to observers, and if reported to the proper authorities, will enable the terrorist attack to be stopped. For counter-terrorist specialists, these activities are known as “Pre-Incident Indicators” or simply “PIIs”.
PIIs have existed and been observed in every terrorist incident. They exist no matter what the target is or who the terrorists are. Too often, however, they are not reported, or acted upon, and thus the terrorists are free to carry out their mission of death and destruction.
How do Terrorists Begin?
• All groups have a leader(s)
• Groups issue speeches, propaganda, brochures, posters, leaflets & web sites to find recruits
• Groups sponsor public rallies, private meetings, or demonstrations
Who are the terrorists?
The terrorists are Muslim muhajideen or “holy warriors”, who are following the Koran’s instructions to “Fight unbelievers until Islam reigns supreme” (Sura 2:193). Seeking the destruction of America and world domination, the majority of the world’s 200,000 “holy warriors” from 50+ Islamic terrorist organizations are now linked to al-Qaeda. Al-Qaeda is a group, led by Usama bin Laden, initially formed from Afghan muhajideen who fought the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. Following the Soviet defeat and withdrawal in 1988, al-Qaeda turned its attentions towards the U.S.A. Al-Qaeda trained between 70,000 and 120,000 terrorists at its camps in Afghanistan prior to the American invasion of Afghanistan in October 2001.
What do the terrorists look like?
The original profile of al-Qaeda terrorists was a Middle-Eastern male, age 18-40. As security measures have become more effective, al-Qaeda has become more sophisticated, recruiting white male Europeans and Americans as well as blacks and Hispanics and men, women and children.
What are the terrorists’ targets?
“The Twin Towers were legitimate targets, they were supporting US economic power”… The hijackers were “blessed by Allah to destroy America’s economic and military landmarks” Usama bin Laden, 29 October 2001
“Attack sites with “high human intensity” like skyscrapers, nuclear plants and football stadiums. Pick targets of “sentimental value” like the Statue of Liberty, Big Ben and the Eiffel Tower.” al-Qaeda Jihad Training Manual
“We were trained in sabotage to attack: “The enemies’ installations, special installations and military installations, such installations such as electric plants, gas plants, airports, railroads, large corporations, gas, gas installations and military installations also.” Ahmed Ressam (Millenium Bomber) 3 July 2001
America is a rich nation with innumerable tempting targets for an enemy’s attack…too many, in fact, for all of our law enforcement and military resources together to protect from a sneak attack by terrorists. However, American citizens themselves have the ability to stop terrorists dead by being vigilant and alert, and reporting all suspicious activities to the authorities.
The most dangerous internal threats to America, from terrorism, from organized crime or from drug traffickers are all threats to national security because of their size and organization. Individuals do not, can not threaten America, but subversive, clandestine organizations working seriously to inflict death and destruction on America, threaten our very existence.
Prepared by Community Research Associates
How do Terrorists Support their Cause?
Without funding no terrorist group can function. Terrorists finance themselves by:
• Committing Credit card fraud; telephone calling card and coupon fraud
• Counterfeiting currency, credit cards and luxury consumer goods
• ID theft
• Smuggling and transporting contraband items such as drugs and untaxed cigarettes
• Committing bank, mail, telephone, visa and immigration fraud
How do Terrorists Prepare for their Missions?
• Conducting paramilitary maneuvers and practice; demolition and weapons training
• Self defense courses, flight training Haz/Mat training, SCUBA training, orienteering
• Paintball exercises, training with communications equipment
• Surveillance of potential targets: Photographing, diagramming, obtaining blueprints, maps, and GPS systems
• Testing security systems and how authorities respond to their actions
How do Terrorists Move Within our Country?
• Fraudulent, counterfeit or altered drivers’ licenses and vehicle registrations
• Fraudulent passports, social security cards, birth certificates
• Numerous residences, rentals, hotels, apartments and houses
• Use cash instead of credit cards
What are Suspicious Activities by Terrorists?
• Surveillance of potential targets: infrastructure, govt buildings, sports and social gatherings
• Theft or cash purchases of large quantities of cameras, cigarettes, alcohol, uniforms (military, police, aircrew, delivery, etc); acquisition of emergency vehicles
• Possession of communications equipment, weapons, explosives, chemicals
• Large amounts of consumable goods, medicines, clothing
• Multiple identity documents
• Possession of disguises, hair dyes
• Possession of terrorist propaganda, posters, literature
What do YOU do?
If you observe suspicious activity in your neighborhood:
• Obtain as much information as possible. Note date, time and location of the activity
• Observe closely the appearance, clothing and behavior of suspicious persons
• If vehicles are involved note descriptions of vehicles and license plate numbers
Then call your local 24/7 toll-free
HOTLINE and REPORT