The bomb attack on Moscow’s Domodedovo airport, on January 24, which killed 36 people, demonstrated how vulnerable we all are in the face of terrorism.
RIA Novosti will broadcast live Moscow-Brussels video conference “Terror Threat. How to prevent tragedy? European expertise” with Gilles De Kerchove, the EU’s counterterrorism coordinator on February 7, at 14.00 p.m. Moscow time (11.00 a.m. GMT).
In late 2010, EU countries such as Germany, the UK and France had to close their borders to flights from Yemen after Islamists sent explosive “presents” around the globe. Despite these measures, a parcel bomb was soon found in the German chancellor’s office and then a bomb destined for the Italian prime minister went off at Bologna airport.
This led Europe to admit that its aviation security measures failed to provide total security. The bomb attack on one of Moscow’s busiest international airports, Domodedovo, on January 24, which killed 36 people, including EU citizens, demonstrated once again how vulnerable we all are in the face of terrorism.
What can the security services of the EU do to prevent potential terror threats? Is it possible that Al-Qaeda could carry out bomb attacks on Europe similar to the devastating train bombings in Mumbai in July 2006? How does Russia cooperate with the EU in the fight against international terrorism?
These and other issues will be highlighted by the video conference.
- Moscow Attack Illustrates Importance of Prevention (wdsi.wordpress.com)
- Security measures at Domodedovo Airport “clearly violated” – Medvedev (rt.com)
- Terror attack at Moscow’s Domodedovo airport kills 35 – RIA Novosti (news.google.com)
- Deadly blast at Moscow airport ‘well-planned terrorist act’ – Medvedev – RIA Novosti (news.google.com)
- Russian president sacks airport security officials after bombing (cnn.com)
- Moscow grieves for those killed in Domodedovo blast (rt.com)
- Moscow suicide bomb kills 35 (heraldsun.com.au)
- New death in Domodedovo terror attack (rt.com)
- Explosion Kills 31 at Moscow Airport (time.com)
- Duma security chief calls for urgent approval of revised security system (rt.com)
- Russia: Lax security responsible for deadly attack – USA Today (news.google.com)
- Russians ‘warned of terror attack’ (theage.com.au)
- Medvedev: Russia won’t fall ‘to its knees’ – CNN International (news.google.com)